Consultant in Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes
Office Phone: 01223 763404
I am a paediatric endocrinologist who has a strong record of accomplishment in research and medical education. I am employed both by Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and the University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine to make up a full time position.
As a clinician, in addition to experience and training in paediatric endocrinology, I have specific interests in the management of children with syndromes of severe insulin resistance and polycystic ovarian syndrome.
My current research projects include a clinical trial comparing the effects of 2 different basal insulins (detemir and glargine) on weight gain in adolescent girls with type 1 diabetes, and a physiological study looking at the effects of synthetic estrogen administration on hepatic growth hormone resistance and urine albumin excretion in girls with type 1 diabetes.
I have a formal role in medical education – I am responsible for the delivery of the final MB examination in Paediatrics, which is delivered to students at the end of stage 2, and am also a member of the Clinical Communication Skills team.
Dr Matthew Murray (weight gain in childhood survivors of Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia)
Dr Donna McShane (the effects of subclinical dysglycaemia on lung function in young people with cystic fibrosis)
- Williams RM, Ong KK, Dunger DB. Polycystic ovarian syndrome during puberty and adolescence. Molecular and cellular endocrinology. 2013 Jul 5;373(1-2):61-7.
- Thankamony A, Tossavainen PH, Sleigh A, Acerini C, Elleri D, Dalton RN, et al. Short-term administration of pegvisomant improves hepatic insulin sensitivity and reduces soleus muscle intramyocellular lipid content in young adults with type 1 diabetes. 2013. p. jc.2013-3264.
- Harper RL, Breene RA, Gattens M, Williams RM, Murray MJ. Non-irradiated female survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia are at risk of long-term increases in weight and body mass index. British journal of haematology. 2013 Nov;163(4):510-3.
- Bluck L, Williams R, Jackson S, Salgin B, Acerini C, Dunger D. Insulin sensitivity assessed by stable isotopes with oral glucose administration: validation with euglycaemic clamp. ISRN endocrinology. 2013;2013:189412.
- Williams RM, Ward CE, Hughes IA. Premature adrenarche. Archives of disease in childhood. 2011 Aug 11.
- Williams RM, Dunger DB. Management of polycystic ovary syndrome through puberty and adolescence. In: Balen A, Franks S, Homburg R, Kehoe S, editors. Current Management of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome London: RCOG Press; 2010.
- Williams RM, Deeb A, Ong KK, Bich W, Murgatroyd PR, Hughes IA, et al. Insulin sensitivity and body composition in children with classical and nonclassical congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Clinical endocrinology. 2010 Feb;72(2):155-60.
- Semple RK, Williams RM, Dunger DB. What is the best management strategy for patients with severe insulin resistance? Clinical endocrinology. 2010 Sep;73(3):286-90.
- Regan FM, Williams RM, McDonald A, Umpleby AM, Acerini CL, O’Rahilly S, et al. Treatment with recombinant human insulin-like growth factor (rhIGF)-I/rhIGF binding protein-3 complex improves metabolic control in subjects with severe insulin resistance. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2010 May;95(5):2113-22.
- Salgin B, Sleigh AJ, Williams RM, Jackson SJ, Bluck LJ, Murgatroyd PR, et al. Intramyocellular lipid levels are associated with peripheral, but not hepatic, insulin sensitivity in normal healthy subjects. Clin Sci (Lond). 2009 Aug;117(3):111-8.
- Salgin B, Marcovecchio ML, Williams RM, Jackson SJ, Bluck LJ, Humphreys SM, et al. Effects of growth hormone and free fatty acids on insulin sensitivity in patients with type 1 diabetes. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2009 Sep;94(9):3297-305.
- McDonald A, Williams RM, Regan FM, Semple RK, Dunger DB. IGF-I treatment of insulin resistance. European journal of endocrinology / European Federation of Endocrine Societies. 2007 Aug;157 Suppl 1:S51-6.
- Williams RM, Yuen K, White D, Mallard B, Dalton RN, Acerini CL, et al. Short-term suppression of elevated growth hormone concentrations following insulin-like growth factor 1 administration in young adults with type 1 diabetes does not alter glomerular filtration or albumin excretion rates. Clinical endocrinology. 2006 Oct;65(4):439-45.
- Saukkonen T, Shojaee-Moradie F, Williams RM, Amin R, Yuen KC, Watts A, et al. Effects of recombinant human IGF-I/IGF-binding protein-3 complex on glucose and glycerol metabolism in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes. 2006 Aug;55(8):2365-70.
- Salgin B, Amin R, Yuen K, Williams RM, Murgatroyd P, Dunger DB. Insulin resistance is an intrinsic defect independent of fat mass in women with Turner’s syndrome. Hormone research. 2006;65(2):69-75.
- Amin R, Williams RM, Frystyk J, Umpleby M, Matthews D, Orskov H, et al. Increasing urine albumin excretion is associated with growth hormone hypersecretion and reduced clearance of insulin in adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes: the Oxford Regional Prospective Study. Clinical endocrinology. 2005 Feb;62(2):137-44.
- Saukkonen T, Amin R, Williams RM, Fox C, Yuen KC, White MA, et al. Dose-dependent effects of recombinant human insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I/IGF binding protein-3 complex on overnight growth hormone secretion and insulin sensitivity in type 1 diabetes. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2004 Sep;89(9):4634-41.
- Williams RM, Amin R, Shojaee-Moradie F, Umpleby AM, Acerini CL, Dunger DB. The effects of a specific growth hormone antagonist on overnight insulin requirements and insulin sensitivity in young adults with Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia. 2003 Sep;46(9):1203-10.
- Savage DB, Tan GD, Acerini CL, Jebb SA, Agostini M, Gurnell M, et al. Human metabolic syndrome resulting from dominant-negative mutations in the nuclear receptor peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma. Diabetes. 2003 Apr;52(4):910-7.
- Potau N, Williams R, Ong K, Sanchez-Ufarte C, de Zegher F, Ibanez L, et al. Fasting insulin sensitivity and post-oral glucose hyperinsulinaemia related to cardiovascular risk factors in adolescents with precocious pubarche. Clinical endocrinology. 2003 Dec;59(6):756-62.