The Department of Paediatrics is profoundly sad to pass on the news of the untimely death of beloved faculty member Dr. Carlo Acerini. Our thoughts are with his family and staff during this difficult time.
Office Phone: 01223 336865
I am a clinical, academic paediatric endocrinologist.
My current diabetes related research is principally centred on the development of new therapeutic approaches to the management of Type 1 diabetes in childhood and adolescence. This includes work on the development of open and affordable closed loop insulin delivery (Artificial Pancreas) systems and exploration of the use of adjunctive therapies for the improvement of insulin sensitivity and the avoidance of complications in Type 1 diabetes.
My endocrine research is primarily focused on co-ordinating the Cambridge Baby Growth Study (est. 2001), which is a prospective, longitudinal study designed to assess the impact of genetic factors and the role of the maternal in-utero environment (including exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals) on influencing pre / postnatal growth and reproductive health.
In addition to the above, I am also involved in collaborative clinical research in the consequences of traumatic brain injury, and the physiological and psychological outcomes of congenital adrenal hyperplasia (and other disorders of sex development).
- Professor Melissa Hines – http://email@example.com
- Professor Robert Tasker – http://www.childrenshospital.org/directory/physicians/t/robert-tasker
- Branco RG, Acerini CL, Tasker RC. Glycaemic Threshold for Activation of the Stress Response in Children. Acta Paediatr. 2013 Aug 23. doi: 10.1111/apa.12402.
- De Lucia Rolfe E, Modi N, Uthaya S, Hughes IA, Dunger DB, Acerini C, Stolk RP, Ong KK. Ultrasound estimates of visceral and subcutaneous-abdominal adipose tissues in infancy. J Obes. 2013;2013:951954.
- Elleri D, Allen JM, Kumareswaran K, Leelarathna L, Nodale M, Caldwell K, Cheng P, Kollman C, Haidar A, Murphy HR, Wilinska ME, Acerini CL, Dunger DB, Hovorka R. Closed-Loop Basal Insulin Delivery Over 36 Hours in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: Randomized clinical trial. Diabetes Care 2013. Apr;36(4):838-44
- Boonen SE, Mackay DJ, Hahnemann JM, Docherty L, Grønskov K, Lehmann A, Larsen LG, Haemers AP, Kockaerts Y, Dooms L, Vu DC, Ngoc CT, Nguyen PB, Kordonouri O, Sundberg F, Dayanikli P, Puthi V, Acerini C, Massoud AF, Tümer Z, Temple IK. Transient Neonatal Diabetes, ZFP57, and Hypomethylation of Multiple Imprinted Loci: A detailed follow-up. Diabetes Care. 2013, Mar;36(3):505-12.
- de Lauzon-Guillain B, Wijndaele K, Clark M, Acerini CL, Hughes IA, Dunger DB, Wells JC, Ong KK. Breastfeeding and infant temperament at age three months. PLoS One. 2012;7(1):e29326. Epub 2012 Jan 10.
- Petry CJ, Seear RV, Wingate DL, Manico L, Acerini CL, Ong KK, Hughes IA, Dunger DB. Associations between paternally transmitted fetal IGF2 variants and maternal circulating glucose concentrations in pregnancy. Diabetes. 2011 Nov;60(11):3090-6.
- Breene RA, Williams RM, Hartle J, Gattens M, Acerini CL, Murray MJ. Auxological changes in UK survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia treated without cranial irradiation. Br J Cancer. 2011 Mar 1;104(5):746-9.
- Lek N, Prentice P, Williams RM, Ong KK, Burke GA, Acerini CL. Risk factors for obesity in childhood survivors of suprasellar brain tumours: a retrospective study. Acta Paediatr. 2010 Oct;99(10):1522-6
- Hovorka R, Allen JM, Elleri D, Chassin LJ, Harris J, Xing D, Kollman C, Hovorka T, Larsen AM, Nodale M, De Palma A, Wilinska ME, Acerini CL, Dunger DB. Manual closed-loop insulin delivery in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: a phase 2 randomised crossover trial. Lancet. 2010 Feb 27;375(9716):743-51.
- Thankamony A, Ong KK, Dunger DB, Acerini CL, Hughes IA. Anogenital distance from birth to 2 years: a population study. Environ Health Perspect. 2009 Nov;117(11):1786-90.
- Salgin B, Marcovecchio ML, Williams RM, Jackson SJ, Bluck LJ, Humphreys SM, Acerini CL, Dunger DB. Effects of growth hormone and free fatty acids on insulin sensitivity in patients with type 1 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Sep;94(9):3297-305.
- Acerini CL, Miles HL, Dunger DB, Ong KK, Hughes IA. The descriptive epidemiology of congenital and acquired cryptorchidism in a UK infant cohort. Arch Dis Child. 2009 Nov;94(11):868-72.
- Williams RM, Deeb A, Ong KK, Bich W, Murgatroyd PR, Hughes IA, Acerini CL. Insulin sensitivity and body composition in children with classical and non-classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010 Feb;72(2):155-60.
- Ong KK, Langkamp M, Ranke MB, Whitehead K, Hughes IA, Acerini CL, Dunger DB. Insulin-like growth factor I concentrations in infancy predict differential gains in body length and adiposity: the Cambridge Baby Growth Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jul;90(1):156-61.
- Anna McDonald, Margaretha Lindell, David B Dunger, Carlo L Acerini. Traumatic brain injury is a rarely reported cause of growth hormone deficiency. J Pediatr. 2008; 152: 590-3
- Kapoor RR, Burke S, Sparrow S, Hughes I, Dunger DB, Ong K, Acerini CL. Monitoring of concordance in growth hormone therapy. Arch Dis Child. 2008 Feb;93(2):147-8
- Acerini CL, Tasker RC, Bellone S, Bona G, Thompson CJ, Savage MO. Hypopituitarism in childhood and adolescence following traumatic brain injury: the case for prospective endocrine investigation. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006 Nov;155(5):663-9.
- Sheila Reddy
- Di Gunton