Consultant Paediatric Neurologist
Dr Alasdair Parker is British Paediatric Neurology Association (BPNA) President Elect 2020 and President 2021-24.
Alasdair trained in paediatric neurology in London and is now a consultant paediatric neurologist at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge.
He developed and led the East of England Paediatric Neuroscience Service 2003-12 and 2017-20. He has launched and led video-telemetry, movement disorder, neuromuscular, acute brain injury, ketogenic diet, vagal nerve stimulation and neuro-immunology services.
He has a great interest in the epilepsies, ketogenic diet, tuberous sclerosis, microcephaly, movement disorders and efficient investigation of children with neurogenetic disorders.
He holds an associate lectureship at the University of Cambridge, leading in the training of under-graduates, junior and senior doctors. He was inaugural Chair of the BPNA education committee and National Training Advisor in Paediatric Neurology 2013-17.
His research interests include the epilepsies, genomic disorders and quality of life.
He has greatly benefitted from the support of children, families and patient organisations – with which he collaborates closely in Cambridge, East Anglia, across the UK and abroad.
Quality of Life
- The training and organisation of Paediatric Neurology in Europe: special report of the European Paediatric Neurology society and committee of national advisors. Craiu D et Al. EJPN. 2020. https://www.ejpn-journal.com/article/S1090-3798(20)30157-4/fulltext
- Microcephaly including congential infections. Parker APJ, Chin R. In Principles and Practice of Child Neurology. Wylie In Press 2020
- Clinical and radiological characterization of novel FIG4-related combined system disease with neuropathy. Wright CG, Brown R, Grayton H, Livingston JH, Park S-M, Parker APJ et Al. Clinical Genetics 2020. DOI: 10.1111/cge.13771
- Correlation between the total number of features of paediatric pseudotumour cerebri syndrome and cerebrospinal fluid pressure. McTaggart JS, Lalou AD, Higgins NJ, Chitre M, Parker APJ, Muthusamy B, Czosnyka Z and Krishnakumar D. In Press 2020. Childs Nerv System.
- Medicinal use of cannabis-based products: A practical guide for paediatricians. Ali S and Parker APJ. Paediatrics and Child Health. In Press 2020.
- Quality of life for children and families affected by neurological disorders. Parker APJ. EJPN 2019.
- Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. Parker APJ. Chapter In Nelson’s Textbook of Paediatrics. In Press 2019.
- Efficient investigation of a child with early developmental impairment in the era of genomic sequencing. Coysh T, Hogg S and Parker APJ. Archives Dis Child Ed Practice. 2019- In Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2018-315123
- The UK guidelines for management and surveillance of Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. Amin S et Al. QJM 2019.
- PEHO syndrome – the end point of different genetic epilepsies. Chitre M et Al. Journal of Medical Genetics. 2019.
- How to assess and support the child with microcephaly at secondary level. Seregni F and Parker APJ. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2018. 28,10. 468-73.
- Congenital Insensitivity to Pain Overview. Schon K, Parker APJ, Woods CG. 2018 Feb 8. In: Adam MP, Ardinger HH, Pagon RA, et al., editors. GeneReviews® [Internet]. Seattle (WA): University of Washington, Seattle; 1993-2018. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK481553/
- Recommendations for the detection and diagnosis of Niemann-Pick disease Type C: an update. Patterson MC, Clayton P, Gissen P, Anheim M; Bauer P, Bonnot O, Dardis A, Dionisi-Vici C, Klünemann H, Latour P, Ory D, Parker APJ et Al. Neurology: Clinical Practice. 2017.
- Genome annotation for clinical genomic diagnostics: strengths and weaknesses
Charles A. Steward, Alasdair P. J. Parker, Berge A. Minassian, Sanjay M. Sisodiya, Adam Frankish, Jennifer Harrow. Genome Medicine. 2017 9:49. https://doi: 10.1186/s13073-017-0441-1
- Advances in the surveillance and management of tuberous sclerosis complex. Ng S, Ng K and Parker APJ. Recent Advances In Paediatrics. In Press 2017
- New developments in epilepsy management. Ngoh A and Parker APJ. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paed.2017.03.010